Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Squam Magic Part 1, wishing and 52 Photos Project

Good Morning squammies, wishers and fellow photogs.  Today is Wednesday and we are wishing together over at Jamie Ridler's Studios and sharing pictures at Bella's 52 Photos Project.  I am going to be talking about my experience at Squam a bit also.

Jamie's wish prompt is:  What do you wish to immerse yourself in?
Bella's Picture prompt is:  Shoot the Red

I wish to immerse myself in more moments like those I experienced at Squam, so that they can become more a part of my everyday life instead of something I only feel once in awhile. 

This year has been a particularly hard one for me emotionally.  My sense of self has become lost in the ups and downs of my marriage.  I find myself so tuned in to the environment around me and reacting to every little thing in it, that I have no idea who I am or what I want.  I have been in survival mode before, it's an old feeling for me, so I know that's what I'm in again.

Going to squam is like going back home to yourself, to connecting to what it is that you want.  You can do as much or as little as you want while there.  You can connect with other creative souls or you can take a breather on the dock just listening to your own heartbeat merging with the sounds of birds and water.

I found myself watching those who have been to Squam many times and you can see them coming more into themselves, standing tall in their truth.  This was especially present in Elizabeth this year, who is the goddess creator of all that is Squam.  Her outsides seem to really match her insides this year, do you know what I mean?  When Elizabeth described  in her blog post after Squam that is what she was feeling, I just nodded YES, it shows!  Big shout out of thanks to Elizabeth and all her magical helpers that make Squam the experience it is, including the RDC camp staff, who kept food in our bellies and cabin fires lit to warm us during the cold nights.

I love the sense of being held at Squam, the other women and men that attend are here to come back to themselves, to connect with other creative souls and this shows in the real sense of community felt at Squam, a being there for each other, even if it's just as a witness.  My cabin mates were a mix of new and old friends, and I have much gratitude for their presence at Squam and in my life, it was such a pleasure to be seen and heard by them and to see and hear their stories as well.

Don't get me wrong, it's not all magic pixie dust and unicorns.  There is work being done here also, you come up against your own edges and you can push through or not, your choice.  I came up against mine, feeling a part of things in some moments and then on the fringes of not belonging in other moments.  Crying sometimes and  feeling so alone and then laughing with others and feeling connected.  So I just kept showing up because I want to grow and push myself towards becoming more of my self, to feel more at home in my own body, to have my outsides match my insides.

The beauty of Squam is not just in the people but also the surroundings, the forest paths, the sun sparkling on the lake, the sounds and sights of nature are all around you.  I hope I captured a bit of it of it below in my slide show.  For me this year it really hit home that I have been lost and at Squam I was able to feel moments of being found.  My wish now is that I keep immersing myself in these moments, to hold them close.  I still struggle with the wanting to be seen vs. not wanting to be seen.

I will write another post on my classes and teachers later this week when I have really processed the whole experience.

My shoot the red for Bella's prompt is the above painting I did in Flora Bowley's "Bloom True" class.  I love the red in this painting, I just wanted to keep adding more and more.

So my friends what are you wishing today?  As you wish for yourself, I am also wishing for you.

Namaste,
Karen

21 comments:

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

Great wish. As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Amanda St.Clair said...

Just like the painting, it sounds like you need to "keep adding more" to your life. What a blessing to be able to attend Squam! As you wish for yourself so I wish for you also.

http://unfoldingcreatively.blogspot.com/2011/09/wishcasting-wednesday-what-do-you-wish.html

Anonymous said...

May you find many more moments like those you experienced at Squam.

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Anonymous said...

This is a gorgeous paintint Karen!
Diane

KathyB said...

What a perfect description of September 2011 Squam. I am still walking on air and processing all the wonder.
Great photos!

KathyB

elizn said...

Wow--your words and pictures touch me, Karen.
So happy that you went back to Squam--I have a little pang when I see your pictures--it truly is a magical place on all levels!!
xo

Alli said...

Beautiful! I love the picture and the way you express yourself. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well!

Keepapi Creative said...

As you wish for yourself, I wish for you too. Squam sounds fantastic.

Suzy said...

Oh my god--that picture of me is horrifying! (Could my nostrils be any bigger???) Still love ya though, my dear, dear soul sister. And I enjoyed our talk.

Dominee said...

I am so happy that you found a support system!

As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.

Bella said...

Karen! I love your painting :) As you wish for yourself, I wish the same for you. xo

Lis said...

You know, you may be in survival mode but you radiate this sense that you WILL survive and thrive no matter what. Like a plant going up through the cracks in the sidewalk ... your courage and determination and wide open heart are beautiful to behold. The gift you give is one of self-care and optimism. At least, that is what you inspire in me.

It was such a privilege to watch you birth that painting! So much so, well ... you know ;) (can I call on you to be my labor coach?)

I love you Karen and I love how we can be real in each other's presence and know there is trust and love and respect which sets us free to really dig into the mucky, messy stuff. Thank you for helping me see some of my edges.

And dare I say: I think the journey for you is to have your insides match your outside because damn woman! You rock!

xo lis

" M " said...

Wow! that squamie looks like fun : )

As you wish for yourself, i wish for you also! : )

Ginny said...

Squam looks like such an incredible place. Thank you for giving me a glimpse of it. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.

foxysue said...

I'm coming to your post from 52 photos project and must say how connected I felt with you and your experience at Squam through your painting, words and photos.

Keep 'blooming true',

Sue x

Janece said...

Sounds like a terrific place, and your artwork on this post is beautiful. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

Mare/TommyGirl said...

I hope you find those moments like you had at Squam. As you wish for yourself, so I truly wish for you also.

carol l mck said...

Dazzling photo!Perfect for 52 PP ~ thanks ~ namaste, Carol ( A Creative Harbor)

Kim Switzer said...

SQUAM sounds amazing. I'm so glad you shared some of it with us.

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you as well.

Sarah Lulu said...

May you find yourself ... in your immersion.

As you wish for yourself I so lovingly wish this for you also. xx

Liz said...

What a gorgeous painting, dear Karen! Sounds like another powerful experience:) Thank you for letting me live a little of it vicariously through your beautiful slideshow!