| "Four Word Self Help" hanging out in the garden |
Since reading Patti Digh's book "Life Is a Verb" I have been following her blog 37 Days. She has a way with balancing inspiration and humour in her writing and of course there is the shared love we have for a certain Actor whose initials are J.D. When the call went out on the blog, facebook and twitter about Patti's new book "Four Word Self Help" I emailed right away to get a copy for the blog tour.
Patti starts the book off with the quote "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated" - Confucius which really sums up what the book is about, each page contains 4 words plus an image which equals the self help message, it is this simplicity that really works for me. The book is broken into different categories such as, Community, Love, Stress, Travel, etc. This format allows for jumping to the section that fits your self help needs for the day. At the start of each chapter/section Patti has the name, quote and a short write up explaining the section, such as the one for Wellness which starts with this quote from Mark Twain, "Be careful reading health books, you may die of a misprint", this quote is a perfect example of Patti's sense of humor. There is plenty of inspiration to be found within and the humour adds that reminder that sometimes it is ok not to take ourselves too seriously.
Here is a picture of one of my favorite word/picture combinations, it is under the Activism section and it speaks to me as I am currently trying to find my own voice amongst the din of others.
![]() |
| "Four Word Self Help" inspiration for today. |
The other aspect of the book that I appreciate is the size which is about 5 1/2 by 7 perfect for carrying along with you throughout the day.
I highly recommend "Four Word Self Help" as one of the best books in this genre which you can easily pull out whenever you are in need of inspiration, laughter or just a beautiful image to look at.

2 comments:
oh how I adore that book. It is so inspiring.
Got it too. I open it randomly to receive an instant lift. :)
Did you notice the cute baby boy on page 74? ;) He´s over 1.70m now and still as cute. :D
Post a Comment