Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wishcast Wednesday: What do you wish to transform?




These 2 pics were both taken yesterday, this is what Spring looks like around here.

Good Morning my fellow wishers and dreamers, today is Wednesday and over at Jamie Ridler's we are sharing our dreams and wishes.  Today's prompt is:  What do you wish to transform?

I wish to transform my attitude, my perspective.  Growing up I was such a positive girl filled with hopes and dreams.  I remember yelling at my Mom and Aunts for their pessimistic attitudes.  My Aunt used to tell me, "Stop dreaming, Karen, there is no white knight on a horse coming for your".  As an adult I can see now that she was talking to and about herself.  I never said I wanted a white knight on a horse to rescue me.

The thing is I am noticing as an adult I see myself being pessimistic at times (learned behavior kicking in!)  and I want to transform those thoughts, stop them dead in their tracks.   If you sink into the pessimistic thought it just starts a downward spiral.  I am becoming better at noticing them and right now I am cultivating awareness and this is the first step.   I am not saying that every negative emotion needs to be turned into a positive one; it is more about the self defeating ones, the ones that I turn on myself.

This past Monday is a perfect example.  I was just starting to recover from a back/knee injury and was feeling much better and noticing that.  So what's so bad about that you say?  Well I came into work Monday feeling much better than I had in weeks and I FALL right on my bad knee.  I was like WTF!  My thoughts starting spiraling into that pattern of why did this happen and I don't deserve to feel better and so on.

I am happy to report that after a few moments I became aware of those thoughts and changed them, this is so big for me.  I got out the ice pack, took an advil and thought of that Buddhist saying:  "Fall down 7 times and get up 8" and that actually helped.  This fall was not about what is wrong with me or that I don't deserve to feel better, it is about being sleep deprived and busy at work and not paying attention to where I was walking.  ( I tripped over a box)

On a lighter note I want to transform my wardrobe.  When I was a bit younger and lighter I used to wear more skirts and tights and boots and funky scarves.  As I gained weight I started dressing to hide my weight in bigger clothes and mostly jeans and pants.  I want to embrace the inner Boho girl again and I don't want to wait until I lose weight to do it!

Ok back to embracing the chaos that is Tax Season over in the office and counting down to April 19th when I can take a breath again.

So my friends what are you wishing to transform today?  As always as you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

Namaste,
Karen

16 comments:

erinrichardson said...

Good for you! As you wish for yourself, Karen, so do I wish for you as well.

Amanda St.Clair said...

Embrace your inner Boho girl! As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Lis said...

As Karen wishes for herself, so I also wish for her - swirly skirts, colorful scarves and all!

The work you are doing is HUGE and it is lovely to see you practicing patience and compassion with yourself as you tackle some pretty big knots (ones that we all have!)

Yesterday my morning reading had this to say: "you are dwelling on something that took place in the past - or, more likely, on how you misunderstood that event and reacted to your misunderstanding." it goes on to talk about withdrawing energy from that emotion/memory and deflating it by placing your attention somewhere else. Not exactly what you are talking about here ... but a similar process. Things happen, we may react but then we can move on, not give it so much energy and attention. Choose where we want to invest ourselves - in seeing, embracing and experiencing the joy that is around us. (excuse my little Joy Warrior pep talk!)

Funny, last year I had "wear more dresses and skirts" on my goddess 100 things list and it really has been an amazing lift to my spirits. I cannot wait to see the Boho you at Squam! I will be sure to pack my scarves :)

xo Lis

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

Yes!!! That inner voice, speaks to us. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well. :]

Ginny said...

It is awesome that you caught yourself before you gave into the negative spiral. It is hard to do but so important so that you can see things in a positive way. I say yes to all of the bright colors and swirly skirts.
As Karen wishes for herself, I wish for her as well.

Mare/TommyGirl said...

So much YES to this post! It can be hard to even be aware of those self-defeating voices, so it's so great that you're able to do it! And I love that you're not going to wait to enjoy your life for the weight to come off (something I constantly battle with myself on).

As you wish for yourself, Karen, so I truly wish for you also.

Becoming Liberamente said...

Your post really spoke to me today. I have been realising that I am easily falling into negativity even when I am trying not to.
As you wish for skirts and tights and funky clothes and more... so I wish for you

Lucy Ladham-Dyment said...

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Deborah Weber said...

Lovely pictures, and lovely wishes! As Karen wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

Beverley Baird said...

Love your photos!
As Karen wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

kelly barton said...

it is so true karen. so often our reaction is learned behavior and it just settles in with the years. i was talking to my massage therapist, she also works in energy, etc. and i asked her if she felt i did that from learned behavior or if it was just me. she told me that she felt i did it because i was raised with a mom who reacted that way. i have tried so long to do better and i do a lot of days. but dang....i will just keep "transforming"

so as you wish, i wish for you too.

Liz said...

Beautiful and wise:) As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also, my dear friend!

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh yes unleash your inner boho right now! Complete with rose coloured glasses and don't let anyone make you take them off!

As you wish for yourself I so lovingly wish this for you also..xx

Grace said...

As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well!

I wonder why we do that...why, if we gain some weight, we try to 'hide' behind different clothes, like no one will notice? LOL :) I think you're on the right path - allow your authentic beauty and style to shine!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

As Karen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.
Not long to go. Keep breathing deeply.

Holly said...

I am thinking very closely on your decision to dress the way brings you happy-ness, despite the current form you are in...

And I think you might be onto something here...could form follow function in weight loss as well? I mean, if you're happier with how you look, does your brain begin to remember your true shape and begin to work to get you there? Hmmm, I'll have to consider this.