Monday, December 5, 2011

Pursuit of Healthfulness....the beginning

Me and Shelly - NC Serendipity Retreat October 2011

Hello Friends, today I begin a Pursuit for Healthfulness with Melissa over at My Red Tutu.  We were both talking about living in a healthier way recently and decided it might be fun to blog about it together. 

I am the one on the left in the above picture, it is the only full body shot I have of myself from recent times.  I do not like getting my picture taken since I have gained so much weight but I am going to share it here because this is who I am right now.  A number of things combined got me to this place, which is my highest weight ever, they include steroid treatments for asthma, emotional eating, turning 40, leading a sedentary lifestyle and a recent leg injury which uncovered underlying arthritis in my knee. 

Weight loss may be one of my goals but more importantly I want to feel good about myself and my body at whatever weight I am, so part of it may be about body image. I also believe that it is about leading a healthier lifestyle, feeling fit and comfortable in my own skin which may or may not lead to major weight loss.

Here are my goals for this first week:

1. Investigate some online resources which include some overall health advice from Dr. Weil, Dr. Oz and other inspiring bloggers who are in the business of helping others to get healthy mind/body and spirit.
2.  Paying more attention to how my body feels when I eat certain things.  I have a feeling my body intuitively knows what it needs to maintain good health, now the key is to tune into that.  I might do this by taking notes after meals and such.
3.  Really pay attention to how much I am moving overall each day, I have a feeling it is not going to be too much.  I have a desk job where I sit most of the day.

My hope is that by taking an honest look at my lifestyle that I will be able to see where I need to make some healthy changes.  We have decided to write an update each week on Friday where we share what may or may not be working for us as well as recipes or other heathly lifestyle tips.  All are welcome to join in as we travel on this Pursuit to Heathfulness.  I'd love to hear your story as well.

Let's jump on over to Melissa's blog to see what she has to share today.

If you want to join in add your link below and join in the Pursuit of Healthfulness.

Namaste,
Karen






6 comments:

melissa said...

So happy to be joining you on this journey. We can do it!

Liz said...

Love your new blog look and focus:) And love this beautiful picture of wonderful you! Be gentle with yourself on the journey.

kelly barton said...

okay girls. i would love some check in's too. who's up for that!

karen, i am so proud of you.

Steph said...

I love this! Both the new blog and the entire initiative of self-care. Thank you for prompting me to think about this...

Steph
xo

playcrane said...

Good luck with getting healthier! I too need to do the same. You can do it! Jodi

Colette said...

I need to do this too. Thanks so much for announcing your commitment and sharing who you are.

Might there be a chance to get a group going? I need support too.


It could be as simple as sharing a blog post a week on it or something.

But if that's too big no worries. If you need help to make a logo I can help.


I suffer with fibromyalgia and gained a lot of weight comfort eating after menopause and family crises. Still comfort eating. I'm making a commitment to losing weight now. I know I go into avoidance though. It would be good to have group support.