Monday, February 13, 2012

Pursuit of Healthfullness Week 8 and 9

Delicate yet still strong


So here I am 2 weeks later and getting back to posting with Melissa over at My Red Tutu  for  our Pursuit of Healthfulness as I  just start to come out of a major anxiety spin.  My Acid/Reflux came to a crisis point about 2 weeks ago, waking up each night from a dead sleep in burning pain.  At the same time I had some funky sinus situation going on, felt like I was being hit from all sides with weird symptoms.

I have had some health concerns this last year, achy body, reflux, inflammation.  I ignored the small signs that my body was in distress and I just kept eating, stressing, drinking and so on, all the things that aggravate my health.  So of course my body decided to give me the bigger wake up call and I find myself crying in the doctors office, frustrated to be at this point.  Long story short the Dr. put me on Nexium for the reflux since I have some irritation and of course as Doctors go they say well you can stay on this forever.  I don't want to do that, I know it's just a band aid.  I want to make the changes in my lifestyle and diet that can bring about real healing. 

So my plan is to stay on the nexium for the 6 weeks and wean off of it along with dietary changes.  So far I have cut back  or eliminated white flour, wheat, sugar, alcohol and dairy.  I have added juicing to my daily regimen to help bring me back into balance. 

I have to say although my digestive system is still out of whack I am noticing small changes especially less bloating and I lost about 4 pounds.  I am also noticing that I am getting tired at night where usually I am up to 1 or 2 am struggling to fall asleep.  Maybe without the sugars, caffeine and other stimulants my body is finding it's natural rhythm.

As for the anxiety it is still pretty high, when I am having health issues I go into crisis/survival mode and it can put alot of added stress on my system which ends up defeating all the good i am trying to do.  I would love to hear any suggestions (minus body work) you might have on bringing down the stress level.  It is an old way for me to be and that anxiety is always there right under the surface waiting to pop out.

So for now I am being gentle with myself and tying to soothe my inner worrywart and just taking one step at a time.  I will check back next week and let you know how it goes.

A timely reminder for me this week
I would love to hear how you are doing in your Pursuit of Healthfulness and don't forget to jump on over to Melissa's and she what she's up to this week.

Namaste,
Karen

8 comments:

Donna Wynn (Yogiknitgirl) said...

I wish you health, happiness, peace and all good things in your life Karen. I cheer you on in your pursuit of wellness. I am right there with you in the smoothie journey! Your friendship is a treasure, oh I am so glad we connected, the blessing is all mine!
Donna

michelle gd said...

what an honest and reflective post, karen. i wish you peace and gentleness on this healthful journey on which you're embarking. here's to juices and smoothies! you mentioned taking one step at a time...yes...slowly and gently.
take a peek here...i thought of this instantly when reading your post...i posted it the same day you posted this!
http://michellegd.com/2012/02/13/monday-musings/

melissa said...

So glad you are taking better care of YOU! When you are feeling stressed, go out and take some pictures or write or phone a friend :) Just know that you have my support through this and anything you need, let me know! xo

Beth said...

Karen - You are doing a great job! It does take time to heal our bodies. But I believe our bodies do and will heal from all the things we've done over the years...when I am stressed - I find a walk, sitting listening to music that heals my soul, meditation can be a wonderful way to reduce stress - find ones - with voices that appeal to you to guide you. Breathe. Deep healing breathing...it works.

You are amazing! :)

Liz said...

I can really relate to this post. I'm feeling that same healing urge around stress and anxiety and am taking solace in the idea of slow and steady:) Hoping you've had a good week!

aimee said...

just keep thinking of it as green apple soda & you'll make it through!

Anonymous said...

You must breathe! Breathe deeply from your stomach. Do it for as long as you can each morning - 30 minutes is great, but 5 works well also. While you are breathing just focus on it. Breathe nice and slow. Forcus on letting each of your muscles relax. I am telling you it has worked wonders for me.

Cyndee said...

Congratulations Karen on your journey! And HUGE kudos for you to 'choose' to be on the medication for a short while & to start changing your diet & your lifestyle. That is AMAZING!

I have been going thru TREMENDOUS anxiety lately birthing a new business, in a new place, in a completely different state, not having any where to lean & not having family or friends 'yet'.

I was reminded of a few years ago when I was waking every morning w/ this terrible anxiety. Or it was waking me in the middle of the night. I would just try to gloss over it, get busy w/ meditating or spiritual reading. Anything that might make it go away.

One morning my Guides said "STOP". I was like 'what?' They said 'Stop trying to get rid of the anxiety. Stop & ask it questions. Like 'Why are you here?' What have you come to teach me?' They said to start a dialogue w/ the anxiety. Like you would a friend. Write it down in your journal. Write. Write. Write every time the anxiety arises.

Anxiety is there to tell us we need to be doing something differently. It is guiding us toward change. Maybe it is an old wound coming up to heal. Be gentle w/ it. Sit & have tea w/ it. Get beneath the chatter & find what's there. But first talk to the chatter. Literally ;)

Also, food is a big proponent of anxiety. Especially sugar in any form. Add greens to every meal in some way. I steam shredded kale in the morning & add some miso soup (just miso & hot water shook together) a couple of poached eggs, a TBSP of ground flax seed & black sesame seed.

Your beautyFULL! Thank you for sharing your story. You never know where this is going to take you.

Blessings! And dive in....