
Photo Credit: http://www.thaneeya.com/
The Mexican holiday of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) that takes place on November 1-2 has always intrigued me. Imagine sitting in the cemetery and celebrating with your relatives, those alive and those dead. I love this below quote from the SanFranciso Gate.
“The difference between the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) and Halloween mirrors the contrast between U.S. and Mexican attitudes toward death. Halloween's frightful images reflect the fear of being dogged by vengeful, if not gory, spirits; the Day of the Dead is an exuberant reunion with friends and family members who have moved on to the next stage of their journey.”
It seems a great way to honor your ancestors. The art created around this day (see Skull above) is always so colorful and vibrant not ghoulish.
I have posted some links below with some great information about the holiday. The link for Mexconnect has some beautiful photos on their page.
My Dad’s birthday is actually on November 1st so I think this year I will visit him in the cemetery and leave him some marigolds and sweets.
Dia de los Muertos Links:
http://www.livinginseason.com/category/celebrations/
http://www.mexonline.com/daydead.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead
http://www.mexconnect.com/tags/day-of-the-dead
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/10/21/mexicomix102109.DTL&type=travel
2 comments:
Day of the Dead intrigues me as well. I love all of the colorful art. Thanks for sharing those links. I'll have to check them out when I have more time.
i love day of the dead. the image you found is fantastic!!
Post a Comment