Thursday, July 21, 2011

What I've been up to........


Wow,  two posts in one week!  This is a record for me lately.

Just wanted to show you guys what I've been up to.  I am taking Maya Stein's Feral Writing Course and below is one of the pieces I wrote that I actually feel kinda sorta good about.  (jeez why is it so hard to admit we like anything we create)

A ode to my childhood "backyard"

squares of grass around
black pavement with white lines
mysterious clothes drying on frayed rope
rusty garbage bins big as mountains
garage roof tops to be scaled
freedom found climbing willow trees
skinned knees and bare feet
mother’s call from apartment window
neighbors yell to quite down
friends laughing hide and seek
breathe held as bottle spun
first kiss under cover of night
first beer, breaking curfew
whispered talks of heartbreak
others had shiny pools and manicured lawns
but we had worlds to explore
connected through
squares of grass around
black pavement with white lines

On the photography front I am still having a grand ol time with the iphone and it's myriad of photo applications.  The above picture was taken with an app called leme camera.  I choose the double exposure "film" and I'm loving this one.  The Kuan Yin statue is exposed with a picture taken a few years ago at an art retreat, so in a sense I am infusing my friends with love and compassion here.

Wishing you all a wonderful day for me it's beat the heat over here with temps climbing to 100 degrees today.  urghh...

Namaste,
Karen

3 comments:

Lis said...

what fantastic images! i was immediately transported back into my memories (not as spicy as yours!)

keep writing ... you have such a gift for details! Isn't it amazing what you can create in a half an hour?

love to you Jersey girl ... stay cool, the humidity was with us a few days ago!
xo Lis

Liz said...

Beautiful words and image(s)! Thank you so much for sharing them:)

kelly barton said...

such goodness.