Monday, December 12, 2011

The Gift of Gathering


Gathering - the definition - "an occasion when people come together as a group".  Yes it is that BUT it is so much more than that. 

I feel the art of gathering has become a bit lost in this busy age we live in.  When I'm at a gathering and I remember all the gifts found within I know I can find the time, I need to find the time.  It matters not if the gathering is around a table of great food, in front of a hearth with knitting needles, at a table full of art supplies or surrounding the bedside of a loved one.  What does matter is that we don't forget the gift of gathering.

I gathered with a group of creative souls this weekend, women who showed up with open hearts, each bearing the gifts of self.  I wrote this poem afterwards so I won't forget and maybe I won't wait so long to gather again.
 
Much love and gratititude to those women and all the women and men I've gathered with before.  May we all remember...
 
The Gifts of Gathering

to see and be seen
to hear and be heard
to hold and be held
to nurish and be nourished
to know and be known
deeper gifts
to tell your story
to see theirs
to speak your truth
to hear theirs
to share your fears
to hold theirs
to show your joy
to nourish theirs
to know and be known


 
Jennifer over at Giggling in the Rain and Kolleen Harrison at Heartwing Sisters have also been writing about gathering  if you'd like to hear their stories.  How have you been gathering lately?  I would love to hear your story as well.

Namaste,
Karen

8 comments:

kelly barton said...

oh how your gathering made me so happy, filled me up clear over here in middle earth. so happy you did that!

Kolleen said...

i second Kelly ... the west coast sunshine was a bit brighter that day knowing all of you were "gathering".

i can't wait for the day we all gather face to face!!!

love to you ... and your poem brought tears to my eyes ... so beautifully put.

oxox
k

Bella said...

I had such a great time @ your house, Miss Karen. xoxox

melissa said...

love that you all gathered together...makes me happy!

Happy Mama (Lisa Gonzalez) said...

I enjoyed our time together so very much! I can't wait to do it again.

Your poem made me cry, by the way :)

aimee said...

YOU are a gift. Thank you for opening your home to us and all of our art supplies, and for welcoming a newbie to the area so graciously! xo

Liz said...

Sounds like a beautiful, nourishing gathering!:)

Lis said...

Well you know I wish I could have beamed myself over ... I mean, I am a Jersey Girl! Such care and love ... that's what you always bring dear friend. Perhaps we could create a caravan/road trip from town to town bringing creatives together for community and support? Kind of like a book tour, without a book?!

Love to you and Miss Bella (Moose sends wet nose kisses!)

xo Lis