
So it's Friday again over at Jamie Ridler's Studio and it's time to talk about the next ingredient in The Joy Diet. This week's ingredient is CREATIVITY. When I started the chapter I was thinking it was going to be about creating like in art/poetry/music, etc., but it was about CREATING your life and how to do that by using creativity. I do like what she says about one psychological equivalent of yoga, an act that strengthens in a gentle but insistent wayk is the act of creation (pg 67) I believe I have felt this before while creating.
I have admit I had came across a roadblock with the "Perseverate Your Enemies" section and kind of got stuck there. So this post will be about what I did up to that point and hopefully I will add on when I make it through the rest of the chapter. So here goes:
Uncomfortable Truth #1: You are responsible for creating your life......
Ok, so that is a bitter pill to swallow. I have a friend who is a recording artist and her motto is "Create your reality before your Reality creates you" and I do believe if I don't stand up for myself or get off the sidelines of my life situations, events and people can gain too much control. I have to take that back for myself.
Two of my desires, to be loved and seen for who I am and to forgive and be forgiven have to start with me. If I don't love and forgive myself I don't see how others can. And If I don't show my true face, how will others know me.
So a way I can create my life is to be the person I am without worrying about what others think and show my true face to the world, at the very least I will love myself.
Uncomfortable Truth #2: Creation is Hard.
To stay with creating your life and personal power can get hard.
There seems to be so many outside forces teaming up with internal forces to throw up roadblocks to that creation. I am starting to see that part of the hard work is how to not get stuck at these roadblocks but to learn how to navigate around them.
Uncomfortable Truth #3: Creation Usually Does Not Work.
I can sum that up with this Japanese Proverb:
"Fall down seven times, get up eight"
As I said above I got stuck in the Perseverate Your Enemies section, since the enemies I could list were people who committ crime against others and I felt there was nothing I could learn from them and take on as my own so I am stuck at one of those roadblocks, but not to fear I am thinking up creative ways of getting around this one! ;-) My vision picture for this week shows I may be stuck but I am finding my sense of humour here! Actually I think I will just drive on by that section and on to the next!
I think like with any recipe you are working with, you add and adjust ingredients to suit your needs, I have found some things helpful in this book and others I had a hard time with so I will take what works for me and leave what doesn't.
I look forward to checking in with all my fellow dieters to see how their week with "creating" went.
Namaste for now.
20 comments:
I love your vision photo -- it perfectly expresses how I felt about this chapter!
I lot of people seem to have gotten stuck with the "perseverate your enemies" exercise. You could always skip it for now and see what happens.
I think that being responsible for what we create in our lives is so powerfully liberating and empowering. I rather like what Jennifer of Pink Heels did with the "enemies" section, she wrote out a list of appreciations for her friends instead. I believe as Emily Dickinson wrote, "dwell in possability!"
I agree about skipping the enemies bit. I really struggle with that whole concept. Saying that though, I haven't actually attempted it yet so I may change my mind! I'm struggling with time to be honest. It's good to read how others are coping and feeling.
You know what I feel about the enemies-chapter and want to thank you for your nice comment.
I think this book should more be like a buffett to pick whatever feels, looks nice.
About the paper swap: have you made contact with fellow dieter Cathy yet? Please let me know, if there are any questions :)
CU
Just hopping over from the MB links thread. Am intrigued about the "Joy Diet" now. Love the photo at the top of the post !
I think that what is most important while reading this book, is that you can do whatever you want with it. Skip it, throw it, ignore it, change it, or burn it. It is YOURS!!! Since I find the book to be really negative with a few positive jewels, I create my own activities. I am a self-help rebel. Afterall, there are no rules!
I like what you said about "Fall down seven times, get up eight." That is a key to success. Or at least to living :)
I guess I'm the oddball. I really liked this chapter. I like they way she asks the reader to really look at the truth and then forces you to say - "Ok, I created this life. Now what do I do to make it better."
I agree that you can adjust the "recipe" to make the process more your own. If some ingredients aren't your style, add, subtract, substitute. It's all good.
I am so surprised that readers are finding Martha's book negative. I don't see that at all. To me, her "voice" is the way most people think and feel about their lives. No sugarcoating, no fairies ... that's what I like.
Loved your photo choice for this post. I feel that way most days!! xo
If we aren't active in creating our lives...
our inactivity will create it for us! So many of us agreed about Perseverate on Your Enemies.
It's a hard one.
Have a good week.
Cool photo...I can relate.
Love the sign. I and I am sure others can relate.
thanks for posting.
Great sign! And you have some awesome quotes we need to remember.
I love the "fall down seven times, get up eight" quote. I have not been a person who wanted to fall down seven times, so I know I have missed a lot of opportunities to get up.
thanks for the insight!
That sign is PERFECT!!! I laughed out loud!!!
And you are so perfectly right - creatively use the book in the way that speaks to you.
I must agree with you, something I discovered not too long ago too was that creating is hard and there are many blocks on the road, but as your Japanese saying goes, one must keep getting up! Loved your post very inspiring, I also did not do the enemies pages yet, but really enjoyed the 'do one thing different'. :)
I love the sign it is perfect. And your attitude is great. I finally have mine back again.
"I think like with any recipe you are working with, you add and adjust ingredients to suit your needs, I have found some things helpful in this book and others I had a hard time with so I will take what works for me and leave what doesn't." YES. Woohoo! I truly think that's the whole point of this wacky adventure! :)
Those uncomfortable truths were truly uncomfortable, weren´t they?
As for the enemies thing, what about not taking it literally as in wanting to comit a crime? If you don´t like people who comit crimes against others might be because they take advantage of others. They take what they want for themselves and they forgive themselves for being who they are and doing what they do. That could tie a bit with what you wanted for yourself. It´s not that you are going to comit a crime but you may start to love and forgive yourself as you have expressed.
Hello friend from many journeys. First I love this photo. I think it really sums up how you were feeling this week. I had a problem with the enemey thing too and had to pick and choose what areas I would work on from the suggestions on the book. Thank you for sharing your feelings and your views. It's so helpful. Take care and see you all next week in various places. :)
I love that photo too. This morning while I was having a cup of tea, I thought about the enemies thing again. While I don't really have enemies, there are people with traits I find annoying. If I take a look at what's annoying, sometimes it is behaviors that I don't feel comfortable with trying on for myself. But that may be precisely what could provide that "yoga edge" -- to rub up against and investigate a different way of being in order to spark creative ideas.
Post a Comment