Monday, January 9, 2012

The Pursuit of Healthfulness - Week 5

Fun with Instant Camera

Hello Friends.. This week post is late because I was having posting problems..but It's here now.

This last week as I and Melissa over at My Red Tutu finish our 5th week of our Pursuit of Healthfulness I noticed a few things in regards to my health that I believe I can make improvements on. 
  1.  I never seem to get to sleep before 12 or 1am and I usually wake around 6 when my husband gets up and the I go back to sleep for awhile longer.  So I am not getting a straight 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  And I usually fall asleep in front of the TV in the den and then wake and go to the bedroom.
  2.  I made a Good Luck meal on New Years Day that made me sick to my stomach..lol.. I am thinking it may be the combination of onion, lentils, fennell and sausage.  It may have been too heavy on my digestive system.
  3. I feel down and sluggish when just sitting around watching tv or reading.  low energy.
What I can do to make some small changes.
  1. Try to actually go to bed around 11pm even if I am not tired.  Stop drinking any liquids around 9pm so I don't have to go to the bathroom this might also help me sleep uninterrupted a bit longer.
  2. Try a clean food plan.  Eating closer to the source and less processed.  I think this may help me get my digestion back on a healthy track.  I have been getting this CLEAN EATING magazine and it has some great recipes and suggestions.  I'll let you know if I try any of the recipes and how I like them.
  3. Try to get outside in nature for a minimum of 1/2 hour a day.  This weekend I was out driving around taking pics of the sky and trees with my Fuji Instant Camera which I got for Xmas and am having so much fun with.  I noticed my energy and spirits being lifted by combining the creative with being outside. (see some of the pictures I took above in the group shot)
So my friends what are you doing this week for yourself, feel free to share your story below by linking your post or just leave me a comment.  Let's jump on over to Melissa's and she what she has to share this week.



Namaste,
Karen

5 comments:

Lis said...

Wow! I LOVE those pictures! I may just have to add that camera to my swelling collection!

Uninterrupted sleep is SO VITAL. I'll put on my ayurvedic yogi hat and tell you that Winter in particular is the season of Kapha, earth, so tendency is to slow down, ground, nurture. That said, we have to balance it and counter all those tendencies to meld into the couch :) Ask yourself before you eat something: will this give me energy? Or will it take energy (to digest)? Movement is essential now to keep the sap flowing :) And early to bed ... maybe find an inspirational book to read and go up early with it so you fall asleep with those thoughts in your mind? I think you would enjoy guided relaxations - over time the practice really helps you to sleep better and to feel more refreshed and clear.

So says the oracle! Me, I have been doing well at getting my bum out of bed early and doing 1/2 hour -45 min of yoga but very gentle, stretching not fast moving flow. And meditating, walking the dog and making more fresh juice and smoothies. I find I have to pace myself otherwise I get burned out or frustrated if I "miss" a day. So I start with very doable expectations. Will see how I fare!

Fennel is good for digestion, so I am blaming the sausage - the grease may be too much for your delicate system!

So inspiring - keep going girl! Awareness is the first and biggest step!

xo Lis

melissa said...

I think being aware and noticing what certain foods do to our bodies is key. Keep the to-do list simple then its easier to keep up with :) xo

Beth said...

Hi Karen :)

Clean eating - it's so important to our health - Heather Bruggman of Beauty that Moves is a wonderful guide and resource for re-vamping eating routines! Her courses are filled with valuable info and tips! I've discovered digestive enzymes - they are wonderful to help us digest - as Lis recommends fennel is fabulous - so is ginger - in a tea form with some honey - yummy :)

Sleeping - that's a biggy - so important I will add that as we age our sleep patterns change - especially during menopause - sometimes we women wake frequently - to aid in my sleep I've found I need to step away from technology at least a few hours before - I read - drink some sleepytime tea- hydration is really needed for our bodies especially now as it's so dry where we live.

You inspire me in so many ways - I love your photos! :) see you soon - Beth xoxo

amy said...

Hi Karen~Thanks for your comment on my squam post! And for the Clean Eating link. I think that's more or less how we eat anyway, but it's always good to have a new source of recipes. I've bookmarked it for future browsing!

Sleep is tough. Right now I'm at the mercy of the 3yo's sleep schedule as well. I figure by the time I can sleep through the night, I'll be up worrying about teenagers & curfews. :)

Liz said...

Ah, sleep! That's one of my biggest challenges. My greatest weekend luxury is getting to wake up when I'm rested. Clearly something that needs attention for me, so I appreciate the discussion here. Best of luck to you!:)

And loved learning about Clean Eating magazine - looks great! Thanks!