Monday, November 9, 2009

The Joy Diet: Play


Hi fellow dieters, I am late this week due to some computer technical difficulties. I think my husband was contemplating smashing our laptop with a hammer ;-)
I am back online so I am ready to join in this week of play over at Jamie Ridler's Studio where we are book blogging, "The Joy Diet" by Martha Beck.

I love this quote from Julia Cameron regarding your true life's work being like play, I hope to find that some day. It kind of goes along with what Martha Beck is saying about play being good for your career. Here is the quote:
"What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us."

I have to say I was not really that keen on Martha using September 11th as an exercise, for some reason this does not feel right to me, so I did not do that one. I actually have family members that are in law enforcement and one cousin who lost people he knew at Port Authority. I can't even remember what I did that day or the next, I think it was spend in fear and anxiety, so no not so keen on doing that exercise, no offense to Martha just a personal choice and I do get what she is saying here.

I was thinking about the part when Martha talks about your present life/job and does it serve the goals you have. I am currently working at a part time job in an accountant's office and on first thought I would say no, this does not serve my larger goals... but... when I thought about it some more, it really does serve my larger goals. The way it serves my larger goals is in the way it has allowed me to take a break from a higher stressed job in a corporation that was really not serving me. My current job also frees up time for me to do things like this book blogging and some other online adventures, as during non-tax season my hours are 9am to 2pm.

I think I am in a learning stage in my life, gathering information and skills that are currently serving my life's purpose.

I also like what Martha says about setting an alarm/reminder for fun. I am going to set an alarm on my cell phone and when it goes off it will be like a commercial break in my day, a time out for song and dance! I am also lucky to have a very playful dog who reminds me to play (with her!) as soon as I get home. (see her picture above)


Gratitude is on my mind especially during this time of year so I have decided to have a "Gratitude Giveaway" at my blog. Click the below link if you want to enter.
"Gratitude Giveaway"

Wishing all my fellow dieters a wonderful week, until next time.

Namaste,
KAren

2 comments:

Lawendula said...

Oh yes, the 9-11-thing. Sorry, Martha, it just does not work. (I've read no posting where someone used this exercise)
About astrology, well, feel free to ask (send me an email: lawendel42@web.de)

Have a nice week!

Anonymous said...

I love your dog!

I've found that not all of Martha's examples or exercises work for me, but the general idea is what I work with.