Monday, May 2, 2011

Giveaway and Interview with Jen Lee for Monday Inspiration



Jen on stage courtesy of Jen Lee
It is my pleasure to share with you the interview I did with Jen Lee regarding her new multimedia package  "Finding Your Voice" which is available now at Jen Lee Multimedia Resources.  You can see Jen telling you in her own words about the making of "Finding Your Voice" in the video at the beginning of the interview.

I first met Jen online and quickly became a reader of her blog where she shares so openly and honestly, truly living her own motto:  Just Be True!   I have also seen her perform live at Moth Storytelling events and have taken her classes at Squam Art Worshops where she will be teaching again this September.

Below is what I  wrote after returning from Squam last September and it is the best way I have of describing Jen to you.
Jen Lee Squam September 2010
The thing I have to say about Jen is she has this way of seeing right through all your layers and getting to the core of you, I really felt like she was talking to my heart, I have no other way of describing it. In these classes we learned to tell our stories and bear witness to others stories.  I could not write my story, it was too hard and Jen really spent some time with me and helped guide me back. In the afternoon class we learned how to care for our creative souls, how you can feed your soul and keep yourself strong and nourished so we don't get depleted. At the end of the class Jen gave out blessings that we randomly picked and she then proceeded to connect with you by looking straight into your eyes and reading your blessing to you. I can honestly say Jen broke me open in the best way possible.

The questions I had in mind were questions that came up for me and others when we spoke of finding and sharing our own stories, so without further ado here is the interview:



I love that you added an audio component to your multi media package, what led you to this decision?

My favorite way to take in new content right now is to listen to audio programs. I love hearing people speak their own words in their own voices. I wanted to add an audio component to this course because it adds another layer of presence to have a voice to go with the words, and I wanted to infuse this project with as much of my presence as possible. I would prefer to be face-to-face with everyone, but that isn't always possible. I was trying to create something that would be the next best thing, which is also why I decided to hand-write blessings inside each one.

Can you tell us a little about the first time you shared a story on stage or just one on one, what it felt like then and how it feels now?

I was telling stories rather unconsciously to my friends for a long time. I would just tell them what was happening or what I was thinking like it was nothing, really, and sometimes the words would be like little bombs that would just quietly go off in the listener. It took me a long time to figure out, "What's that about?"

Now I'm trying to bring more awareness to the stories I'm holding, so I can deliver them a bit more intentionally and gently. But there's still this part of me that doesn't really understand what I'm holding, especially with a new story. I have to give it away, to tell it, and then have someone tell me what it is before I even know myself.

What is your favorite self care practice during the process of story mining and telling, the one that help keeps your balanced?

My favorite self-care practice is to balance the being seen with letting myself be hidden, too. I've gotten myself in trouble when I've operated out at the edge of my capacity for vulnerability too hard and too long. That kind of overdoing it takes a lot to bounce back from. I go to these shows, and I can tell the stories on stage, but sometimes I can be really socially awkward with the hosts and the audience members before and after. I used to be hard on myself about that, but now I know it's just the next developmental piece for me. Part of the reason I've been able to do it is that I can slip back into the crowd when I'm done. I live this very anonymous existence here in Brooklyn, and the invisibility helps balance the visibility of some aspects of my work.

When I take a big leap, I give myself a lot of loving care on the other side to recover. Mining and telling our stories is more than an intellectual exercise--it can really be a form of soul work--so appreciating the ways we're stretching and being careful not to push ourselves out past the edge of our capacities makes a big difference. It's too easy to make ourselves wrong for needing the things we do, but I get a lot farther when I embrace and honor those needs instead.

What wisdom can you share with those who are interested in learning how to find and share their stories but are concerned with judgment especially in the sharing of their stories?

I'm a big proponent of telling our stories to safe people, in welcoming and secure environments. It starts with one safe person, who will let us belong to her no matter what we say. Our intuition is our best guide regarding what to share and with whom. We don't have to take on our critics or precarious relationships right away--we can work our way up to that, if we must do it at all. The other thing we can do is become safe people for those around us. The greater the safety nets we build, the more courageous we can be.

I would like to thank Jen for taking the time to answer my questions. I really believe this is important work, the sharing and telling of our stories, so  I would like to GIVE AWAY a copy of Jen's "Finding Your Voice".  Just leave a comment to this post to be entered, easy peasy, no rules or requirements.  I will announce the winner this Friday May 6th.

Jen Lee Bio:
Photo by Mati Rose McDonough, www.matirose.com

Jen Lee is a Brooklyn-based writer, photographer and a regular performer in NYC's storytelling scene, including The Moth Radio Hour and The Moth Mainstage. Jen is also the author of Solstice: Stories of Light in the Dark, Fortunes, and Take Me With You: A Journal for the Journey.

Jen leads workshops and retreats focusing on creative expression. She believes everyone has a story worth telling, and she would be delighted to hear yours. Send your stories, requests, comments and questions to Jen using the Contact link found here Jen Lee contact form. She invites you to follow her on Twitter, and to download The Story Catcher, which you will find over at Jen's Blog:  Jen Lee.net

May this day find you and your loved ones well. 
Namaste,
Karen

34 comments:

bella said...

Beautiful ~ I loved reading this interview. And I'd love a chance to win this most beautiful course.

jen mcgown said...

being a student in jen's classes, I can completely relate to your comment, that she has a way of getting to the core of you. She is both an engaging teacher, a captive listener, and authentic woman. it warms my heart to see all the great work she is doing.
And i love that we both embrace our social awkwardness :)

Mira Olson said...

Thank you for sharing this, Karen. Jen's magic affects all who cross her path. She indeed cracks us open, leaving us a bit more vulnerable yet radically more aware and in tune.

Carrie said...

Karen, this was a very lovely post about an even more lovely teacher. Thank you. Peace and Love, Carrie

Meghan @ Life Refocused said...

I *love* Jen and would be so thrilled to win a copy of her new course. You both are so beautiful.

Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

such a wonderful interview...

Silver Sisters said...

Ooo Ooo... huge fan of you both.
Finding my voice is exactly where I'm at right now.

RW said...

I loved reading this interview with Jen. I had the good fortune to attend the Integrated in the Rockies retreat with her and it is good stuff.

I'd love to win the course.

artfoodsoul said...

a couple of winters ago i read jen's blog from the very beginning and was so wowed by her ability to "keep on truckin" through the emotional muck that sometimes drags us down...would love to win this course and looking forward to seeing her at saw again...

melissa said...

thank you, karen, for this generous and exquisite offering. i feel jen seeing into my soul via her words and stories and would be profoundly humbled and honored to be guided by her to find my voice. wholehearted gratitude to you both.

Clair Oaks said...

I love this and I love Jen - what a great and creative IdeA!! xo

KathyB said...

I too am among the luckiest of the luckies - a Jen Lee alum. So great to see that a little army of us emerging. I had the extreme fortune to meet her in Brooklyn, and even though more than a year has passed since then, I continue to benefit from her gifts. Isn't that the way it goes with tiny seeds - seeds of hope, seeds of truth, seeds of love - the best things take time and careful tending to grow.

KathyB

Sara said...

Great Interview!

Kerry Bolster said...

what a refreshing and charming post. I too, love reading her blog and reading/viewing her work.

Simply Lovely.......!

Lis said...

Fantastic interview Karen! I loved Jen's answers to your insightful questions. She is doing such powerful work ... and being cracked wide open? Oh yeah, she does that in the most gentle and loving and supportive of ways (not that she probably intends to crack us apart, but the process certainly does ... and thank goodness for that!)

xo Lis

Amelia said...

this is a great interview with Jen! I'd love to win her Finding Your Voice book!

Elpinoine said...

Lovely! Beautiful interview. Thanks so much for sharing.

Amanda Bohl said...

So inspiring. I would love to win!

Sylvia said...

"telling our stories to safe people" - cannot agree more on that... i'm on a long path of finding my voice (again) and it is a big struggle for me right now...

thank you :)

Laura said...

Thanks for the opportunity to win! :)

Unknown said...

Wow! I read this 3 times and watched Jen's video twice. Thank you for the gift you've given by introducing me to Jen through your insightful interview. I sat back and soaked it in. So often I talk about the importance of telling ones story and our ancestral story so we can clear the way for our own growth, but the permission to do so, was held here in this space. Whether or not I "win", I win, I promise myself to purchase Journey Back to Self AND interview Jen on my radio show, The Family Balancing Act. Karen, thank you!

Stephinie ~ Gypsy Forest said...

Oh my goodness! I would love a chance to win.... and I can't wait for SAW next month (first timer, so excited!)

JoAnn Morrell said...

thanks for posting this. and for the opportunity to win this lovely project.

MezzoDiva said...

YAY! I am looking forward to taking Jen's class at Squam Art Workshops in September. I'd love to have her book as inspiration in the meantime!

Elizabeth C. said...

That is very generous indeed of you to give away Jen's workshop. I too am awed and humbled by her ability to say things that I myself wouldn't even want to write down, let alone say out loud. But hiding from ourselves is no good way to go. Thanks for spreading the word about this gentle soul.

Steffi said...

I often shy away from giveaways but I love what you and Jen said and I would totally love to dive in "Finding Your Voice". ♡

Suzy said...

Wonderful all around! Thank you for the chance to win! xoxo

mindfulknitter said...

Wonderful post about a wonderful person. Lovely indeed!

faerian said...

i would love to win this course with Jen - she is one of the people who make me proud to be human and her work opens up my heart

Alyssa said...

well, I have to enter! amazing woman, that Jen Lee!

jeanine said...

what an inspiring interview. i met jen lee at squam a couple years ago and she truly is the loveliest person EVER.

beth said...

All I can say is that I so desperately need this in my life right now. I really can't thank you enough for this opportunity.

Susan Stokinger said...

Karen, I have been a bit of a hermit and in a somewhat of a fog this year . I find reading email very taxing. Although I was very touched by Squam I felt overwhelmed by all the emails. I could really relate to Jen's words regarding too much information...I believe life leads us to where we need to be when we are ready to be there. I was very touched by this post and the video. I am so glad I experienced it. Thank you for sharing it with me. I am going to start to follow your blog and look into Jen's as well. After all, she couldn't come more highly recommended. Love, Susan

soraya nulliah said...

I loved reading every word of this interview! I also interviewed Jen a few weeks back and...her authenticity and spirit shine though!I absolutely believe in story-telling/sharing and I was so smitten with her work when I first stumbled upon her blog...about 6 months ago!-Soraya