![]() |
| Bella trying to find the perfect spot in the sun |
Today's prompts are: What do you wish to take a stand for and "found it on the ground".
Well what I wish to take a stand for is pretty easy, myself! I worry so much about what I say and do and how it will affect others in my life that I lose sense of what I want and what's important to me.
I am going to give you a pretty painful example. There is this woman who is very close friends with my husband. She also happens to be my husband's best friends wife. This woman and my husband were room mates (strictly platonic) when I first met my husband so I know there was a bond formed then. When I became engaged she actually had the balls to say to me that it was a good thing she liked me or my husband would not be marrying me. I should have known then she was setting the tone for what she felt was her place in my husband's life.
Over the years (17 now) we moved to the same town as them, became god parents to one of their children and so on. I think one of my main concerns is she relies on my husband for too many things, especially when her husband isn't around or not emotionally capable. This has been a big problem for me and don't get me wrong my husband made himself available, he was not blameless. It got to the point over the last few years that my husband and she would talk on the phone almost every day and the texting was out of control. I ALWAYS felt like I was in competion with her for my husband's attention. When my husband starting going through his doubts about our relationship he confided in her and commiserated with her regarding her problems also, which I feel can be a dangerous boundary line to cross between married people. I always felt I could not make waves because I was actually fearful my husband would choose them (his best friend and wife) over me and really how sad is that. Basically I kept myself in this situation because of fear.
Over last summer there was a big blowup when I overheard my husband telling this woman that he felt like they should back off because his feelings for her were starting to feel more than friendly, well of course when you confide and commiserate with someone this is something that could happen. She then said she wished that she felt the same way because then her life would be easier. I was like WTF; my husband did not mean he would run off with her, he just felt like his feelings were getting mixed up. Needless to say I freaked out and really told my husband I could not deal with this anymore. I was giving this woman way too much power over me, yes I was, she was just being who she is. Anyway she would take on no ownership of this issue, just acted like it was all on my husband. I tried to tell her how I felt about the lack of boundaries she had with my husband but she wouldn't hear any of it. And then to top it off I found out she was saying nasty things about me to other people, when all I had ever been was nice to her. I shouldn't be surprised really she is one of those people that always talks about others.
So now I am in a place of distancing myself from her, really who needs friends like that. My husband is still very close to his friend and still talks to her somewhat but I told him I feel like It is time for me to stand up for myself and not be around someone who really doesn't respect my feelings. I am not worried anymore that my husband will leave, we have decided to work on our marriage and he has already talked about what happened and what led him to that and he was honest with me about his mixed up feelings. So the bottom line is if he does leave me over my distancing myself from this woman then I figure I am better off without him!
I would ultimatlely love to help others stand up for themselves, to not let fear keep them in bad situations and in order to do that I have to walk that walk myself, which led me to this answer for today's wish.
The photo prompt was found on the ground which was really interesting to me since lately I have been looking up at trees and the sky for my pictures. The first thing I noticed when I looked down was my puppy and her shadow as she basked in the late afternoon sun spot, now it is not techically ground as in outside, but it was the ground under my feet while I looked down in that moment ;-)
I want to truly thank you for listening to this part of my story today, it felt good to share it here with you in this wishing and creative space. In a way the picture I chose for the photo project goes with the wish as this puppy has really been a balm to my soul these last few years, always there with her unconditional love.
As you wish for yourself, I am also wishing for you.
May this day find you and yours well.
Namaste,
Karen

20 comments:
Karen, thank you for having the courage to share you painful story. May you find strength and courage to stand up for yourself, and be able to set appropriate boundaries and limits. Good luck to you!
As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also
Great wish---and best of luck!
As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.
As you wish for yourself...I wish for you also.
I must say that even not being a part of the wishcasting..how can I not wish you what you wish for yourself? You know?
And Karen I admire your courage to share and also your ability to finally draw the line. You seem as though you are firmly standing in your power. Take it back from her...she seems like a very discreet game player to me. The very worst kind.
xoxo
Karen ~~ thank you for sharing your story. I hear you and I will hold onto it for you.
Love the photo of Bella (and her name!).
~As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you too. xo
Karen, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. You are so brave to open yourself up and share your story with us today. You are much better without this woman and boundaries are necessary to protect ourselves. As you wish for yourself so I wish for you also, brave soul!
Look at how brave you are! Hold your head up and be proud of how you handled yourself in this situation. Your photo is very revealing in that it displays a loving spirit on one side and a shadow world on the other side. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for opening your heart, and sharing your story. *hugs*
As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.
open, dear one ... and honest. brava.
and good for you. we are not doormats!
as you wish i also wish for you <3 g!
I truly understand your wish for the day. It can be exhausting when you don't stand up for yourself.
As you wish for yourself, so I truly wish for you also.
Sharing your story was a very courageous thing to do! "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul." - Those are the last two lines from "Invictus", and I say them to myself everyday. No one controls me and no one decides when and if I will be happy. I am mine! All the best to you. :)
Such a transparent and vulnerable post deserves it's own sort of recognition...All I can say is "Thank You" for entrusting your life to those of us out here in Blogland that are basically strangers. It's an honor to read, and an honor to share the journey with you.
I hope for the sake of your marriage that your husband completely disassociates himself from this woman. NOT because she's a bad person - or that he is. But because all of the things that they are sharing (in a name, that emotional INTIMACY and BFFness) belong to YOU.
KUDOS and MAJOR PROPS for standing up for yourself. You deserve the very best - not the leftovers of whatever he doesn't give to her. And she's obviously no true friend if she won't respect your wishes and your marriage by having better boundaries.
As you wish for yourself I wish for you as well.
Lovely Karen,
Thank you for such an honest post. I think you are strong and brave, even when you doubt yourself I see your light. I adore your dog photos, this one with the fab shadow is especially beautiful.
Lots of love,
Milena
I am so, so proud of you standing up for yourself and demanding the respect you deserve. As challenging as the situation was/is, I see you growing stronger and stronger - heck, you've always seemed strong to me, but seems like you are realizing that about yourself and it is exciting to behold. As you wish for yourself, so dear friend do I wish for you also.
When I saw this week's prompt, I immediately thought of you and your trees :) How wonderful to see Bella ... she is your guardian pup!
xo Lis
As Karen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.
You are getting stronger by the day.
That's courageous and inspirational!
Thanks for sharing, I wish you all the best! Hugs, Mandy.
Great job. I love how you are taking control of your life. I am working to do the same. Thanks for the inspiration.
You know I´m with you. {big hug}
As Karen wishes for herself, so I wishfor her also.
Hot Damn! Good for you! You are worth the boundaries. your husband & this woman have acted inappropriately & i am proud of you for calling them on it!
Oh you brave soul- good for you- boundaries are such a healthy part of life- we really can choose what we subject ourselves to and I applaud your willingness to communicate these boundaries and love your honesty for sharing- yay! xoxo
you are so brave for sharing.
so brave.
sending you a hug. i am sitting here
with tears. will send you a private note.
smooch
Post a Comment