| Willow Tree at Storm King: Willow trees have always been a source of comfort to me |
Hi friends. I have been a bit silent here as I give myself time to sit with the memories of my Dad who passed away 7 years ago tomorrow after a battle with cancer. I was involved in all areas of caretaking while he was sick and I think my body holds the memory of that time since each year since I am very low energy and blue around this week so I am going with the flow over here and being gentle with myself.
The Girl Effect organization is my inspiration this week for Lisa's weekly inspiration prompt over at Dandelion Seeds and Dreams, it is a great organization and is well worth taking the time to learn about. The below video is Kidan from Ethiopia and her story touched me the most. Some of the videos speak of how the girls turned their life around with going to school and working to help their families. Kidan's story is a bit different as she would love to go to school and become a doctor which would be a great help to her community, instead her Mother in another scene tells us Kidan cannot go to school because she has already been engaged at the ripe old age of 13 and she doesn't even know it yet. The family is basically marrying her off for cattle.
This story stopped me in my tracks because something like that happening here is so unimaginable in this day and age and it is common place in these villages. If you could spend a few moments learning more about this project and sharing it with others maybe we can spread the word and find out how to help girls and their families in developing countries learn how to help themselves in ways that don't endanger their children.
Thanks to Tara Sophia Mohr over at Wise Living for giving us the space to share our thoughts on The Girl Effect. You can join in over at Tara's blog through this post on "writing your post about the girl effect"
Much love to you all on this day.
Namaste,
Karen
3 comments:
Sending a big hug your way!
Thanks so much for posting this heartbreaking video - this is such a good project to be part of. I'm definitely going to have to go learn more...
Karen,
Thank you so much for participating and helping to spread the girl effect message - I'm so glad you came on board. And I couldn't agree more - the story of a young girl engaged and not knowing it is haunting, and it *should* haunt us all.
Warmly,
Tara
I am so glad you are being tender with yourself right now ... i was not near my father when he passed, but each year the grieving goes a little deeper as i remember him.
Thank you for sharing The Girl Effect and the movement to spread information with more people. It boggles my mind that the abuse and disenfranchisement of women and girls is still so pervasive AND goes uncommented upon by much of the world. If we don't speak up, who will?
sending you lots of love
xo Lis
Post a Comment