
Passion - that word has many meanings to different people. Passion be it for a person, your art, food, politics, etc, is a loaded word. Just look at all the definitions:
Main Entry: pas·sion
Pronunciation: \ˈpa-shən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin passion-, passio suffering, being acted upon, from Latin pati to suffer — more at patient
Date: 13th century
1 often capitalized a : the sufferings of Christ between the night of the Last Supper and his death b : an oratorio based on a gospel narrative of the Passion
2 obsolete : suffering
3 : the state or capacity of being acted on by external agents or forces
4 a (1) : emotion
5 a : ardent affection : love b : a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest.
I find it interesting that passion is sometimes associated with suffering why does it have to be that way? I would like to have more passion in my life, I feel I walk around afraid of passion, the fear of being overwhelmed by it, but what put that fear in me I don't know. I think a little passion in our lives can be a good thing. Look at all the people drawn to movies and shows like "True Blood" and "Twilight" and the characters in many romance novels. Or the enjoyment we get out of great music, poetry and art, all done with such passion by the singer, artist or poet. It seems to me like people are drawn to this passion, the intensity of the characters, is it because we lack passion in our own lives or that we feel it is not obtainable or is it our puritanical roots that stop us? We have no problem with violence in this country on tv and movies but put a little passion or a love scene in and people feel it needs to be censored or rated. Well I am going to give myself PERMISSION to add a little passion to my life. Passion for my husband and for my friends and family, passion for my creative pursuits, Passion for LIFE!!
No comments:
Post a Comment