Friday, August 21, 2009

Question for fellow bloggers


Hi!
Since I am fairly new at this I was wondering if you can help me out.
I have posted some artwork and original poetry on my blog and I was wondering about protecting my original poems and future art I may post. Are there special copyrights for blogs? I have searched the net but I find it confusing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

I cannot help you re anything special about blogs, but I do know copyright law. Your work is protected by copyright as long as you mark it with the copyright sign. Technically, you should send a copy of the work to the Library of Congress and register it. It makes it easier if you ever have to go to court (or threaten to). I had someone plagiarize my work in progress, but because I have copyrighted it earlier with the LOC, my complaint to the site owner was immediately responded to and the work of the plagiarist removed. I did not have to take any legal action. You can get guidance at the LOC website: www.loc.gov. Legally, you are protected whether or not you file the copyright; you have to pay some money (it was $43 per copyright -- whether one piece or a book of pieces -- I would bind them all into a book and pay one fee; I have done that with articles). Nonetheless, to be on the safe side, it is worth getting the copyright from the LOC. (It takes a while for the filing; the LOC is rather backed up.) If you live in the DC area, you can actually go into the copyright archives and look up the copyright information on anything that has been copyrighted. It's fun to do that. I've done it.

Good luck.

Karen D said...

Thanks for the advice.