Thursday, September 10, 2009

Rant about Doctors and A Music Video


Hi!
I have had the pleasure (NOT) of many different health aliments over the summer. These took me to a few different doctors and I must have had blood drawn more times than I can count then add in a bunch of tests.. ugghhh.. not a fun summer.
Anyway, I think other than some minor things plus my asthma/gerd that I am ok or will be ok soon with some lifestyle/diet changes.

The point of this is that I had to meet with several different doctors and I can say I was really upset by the lack of attention they seem to give. I would say 3 out of 4 barely looked me in the eye when talking to me, what the heck is that? How can they hear what I am saying if they don't even look up from their charts and notes.

I also feel like I am rushed through and I can barely get to say what I need to say, again how can they make a diagnosis without listening to me? They just look at their test results and papers.. Very upsetting to me. I felt like I was not even a person, I was just a name on a chart.

I have to learn to be my own advocate and speak up a little more, I don't know why I was afraid to say, "Wait, can you please stop and listen to me for a minute before you rush me out the door!!!" But I was, I felt like it was not my place to question them! Where that comes from I don't know, society maybe?

The kicker is they don't seem to mind making you wait 1/2 hour plus to see them and then they rush you right out the door.. Though I must add I am grateful to have health care, even though I pay for it, at least it is available to me.

UGGHHHHHHHH!!!! Ok, Rant done.. now I will leave you with a happy peppy music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

5 comments:

Holly said...

Having been in health care for almost 20 years, I will tell you that those reminders you so rightly should give, are surprisingly appreciated.

Doctors and health care workers are held to ridiculous schedules when it comes to seeing patients. Usually 15 minutes is allotted for a visit which is why the office people ask you what your issue is when you're making the appointment.

All offices start out on time at the top of the day...and with each patient that comes through who requires even a minute more talking, and before you know it, the whole schedule is out and the rest of the visitors are made to wait.

It's bad on both sides.

Next time, as kindly as you can, please do the practitioner a favor by saying quietly, "I feel like I am not being listened to; would you please look at me?"

I promise you, it will take them by surprise but you will be doing them a favor by reminding them of their vow to, "First, do no harm."

And, I so hope you're feeling better soon.

Karen D said...

Thanks for the perspective Holly!

Diva Kreszl said...

I can say I have experienced that myself but as I have gotten older (53) I feel more self assured and have slowly but surely switched all physicians to ones who do listen. I also let the others know why I've left their practice. I understand fully the time constraints Doctors are under as I worked in the field for many years. All it takes is a little courtesy to let the patient know when you're running behind and most of the time that's enough to keep people happy. Plus if the patient has somewhere else to be he/she can then make the decision to stay and wait or to reschedule.

Holly said...

Dear Diva!
I could not agree more with that take on the situation. And, good for you for suggesting it here!

Karen D said...

Thanks Diva - I hope to grow into that confidence.