Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Secret - how do you feel about it?


I am not so sure how I feel about "The Secret", I feel like it may have taken the Law of Attraction to a very materialistic consumer driven place.

The Law of Attraction is a very old concept, "The Secret" did not uncover this.
Some of my problems are with the black or white take on you being the cause of suffering/negativity in your life, now I do believe we can absolutely be the cause of some of our suffering but I don't believe we are the cause of it all. I think some suffering can also be societal and in some cases familial.

I just can't buy into a concept that can say an abused person attracted abuse to themselves, especially in the case of a child or victim of a violent crime, to me that is just evil doings by the person doing the abusing, in no way is it the victims fault, that again is just my belief.

I would love to hear thoughts on the Law of Attraction vs. "The Secret" because I believe "The Secret" is just touching on the subject. I am interested in the law of attraction as a whole and I would like to bring more of the positive into my life. I think the good thing that can be said for "The Secret" is that it introduces people to the Laws of Attraction, but where to go from there?

The link below is a buddhist opionion on "The Secret" and I found it very interesting. Especially in the conclusion, when he states that the pursuit of having it all can actually take you out of living in the now or distract you from living in the now.

Thoughts anyone?

http://globalchemy.gaia.com/blog/2007/6/a_buddhist_look_at_the_secret_pt_1-the_life_story_of_the_buddha

4 comments:

kazari said...

Yours is the second post I read about this today : )
I'm not convinced about the secret, either, but i try not to pick fights with pop-culture phenomenons. It seems like a waste of energy.
But you might like this post, too:
http://mommazen.blogspot.com/2009/09/secret-is-out.html

Karen D said...

Thanks Kazari, I don't to pick a fight with anyone, I know what you mean about it being a waste of energy. I just wanted some other theories on the Law of Attraction other than "the Secret"

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Serena Lewis said...

Law of Attraction is a Universal law that was in existence way before the earth was ever formed. I did enjoy The Secret and I do believe in the philosophies behind it though the Law of Attraction was no secret and The Secret neglected to reflect much on the spiritual aspects behind Law of Attraction. I am a devotee of the Abraham-Hicks teachings and the main basis in their teachings is remembering that we are always connected to our Source and how the Law of Attraction works. Until I started following their teachings, I found it hard to get my head around the fact that we attract ALL the negative experiences in our life but now I can understand it much better. It makes a lot more sense when we look at the bigger picture which includes our non-physical existence.

Karen D said...

Thanks for the feedback Serena.