
I am currently working with a holistic nutrionist Maureen Huntley to clean up my diet and learn about different foods and ways of eating that can be helpful to my Asthma and Gerd.
Well you can imagine my shock when she said are you ready to try some "Raw Food"?
It was like she was speaking a foreign language talking about eating "living" raw fruits and veggies. Other than crudites and salad I am a big fan of cooking my vegetables and adding them to my plate alongside my grains and protein of choice for the day.
She assured me you can get all you need from the fruits and vegetables kept in their natural uncooked form.
So Maureen came over for a "raw food cooking" lesson and I asked can we really call it a cooking session if we are not actually cooking anything?
I am quite surprised to say I actually like quite of few of the things we made and I will share the recipes for them below. I also have a juicer and she gave me a easy recipe of 1 apple, 2 stalks of celery and a handful of parsley and "BAM" there are 2 of your daily servings of fruits/vegetables. The juice was very tasty, sweet and a little salty.
The biggest challenge for me is getting in all those daily recommended fruits/vegetables so this will help me to that and to keep most of the nutrients by not cooking everything.
But... am I ready to kick my stove to the curb.. nope not ready for that yet but I think I can incorporate this into my regular diet.
One more tip I got was about bananas, the darker they are the more sugar they have in them, it is best to eat them when they are just starting to go from green to yellow.
You can peel them and freeze them and then when you want a frozen creamy treat you can put the bananas and other frozen fruits in the food processor and blend.
Recipes:
Angel Hair Pasta and Sauce (pictured above) from Living on Live Food: Alissa Cohen
you can use a Saladacco to make the most pasta like shape for the zucchini or any slicer you have than can make ribbons.
Pasta: 3-4 Zucchini
Marinara Sauce:
2 1/2 Cups tomatoes (roma)
12 Sundried tomatoes, soaked
3 dates, pitted and soaked
1/4 Cup Olive Oil (extra virgin)
4 cloves garlic (I used 2 and that was plenty for me)
2 Tablespoons basil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1. Spiralize the zucchini (or ribbon slice) and put in a large bowl.
2. Place all Marinara ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
3. Pour sauce over zucchini and serve!
Stuffed Collard Greens: Quick and tasty snack
Guacamole for stuffing:
2 Avocados
1 roma tomato
Salt and Pepper to taste
blend in processor until smooth. (you can add anything you want to this)
1. Take freshly washed Collard Green leaf and spoon guacamole on and roll up.
2. Slice the rolled up leaf like sushi and dip in soy or tamari sauce.
I have to say I really liked this and the longer they sat the more tender the Collard Greens became, a little sweet even.
** You can also use this stuffing to stuff a portobella mushroom cap.
I will share more recipes as I experiment. If you have tried any raw food recipes or juices I would love to hear about them.
Have a Great Day.
Namaste,
Karen
3 comments:
sounds yummy...but I don't know that I could totally give up cooking, my family might protest. It is a good way to add more veggies & fruits into my existing diet though so keep those recipes coming!
I wonder what your holistic nutritionist would recommend for someone who has developed allergies to most all fruits and vegetables UNLESS they are cooked. The allergy is to a protein that is cooked out when the food is heated. I would love to eat an orange, apple, fresh broccoli again...
Your recipes look awesome! I'll have to try the angelhair pasta and sauce. Yum!
Thank your for your comments at my health and fitness blog today!
this looks good! I too unfortunately can have some intestinal stomach issues if I do not at least steam some of my veggies and stuff..though I do better than I used to.
Post a Comment